Skip to main content
  • Milwaukie: (503) 654-1773
  • Tillamook: (503) 842-2553
  • Open 9 to 5, Monday to Friday

There may come a time when you need to assist another – perhaps a parent or sibling – with the management of their finances and healthcare due to the onset of incapacity.

Being responsible for another is a challenging thing to do, both on a personal and on a legal level. There are many legal responsibilities to consider when assisting somebody who is no longer fully able to care for themselves, including making sure that their finances are used wisely and they are receiving an appropriate level of care. Don’t go it alone. In addition to helping you through the process, we do everything we can to ensure success.

If the person whom you are caring for has not prepared a Power or Attorney or an Advance Directive, you may need to begin a court process called a protective proceeding, either a conservatorship, a guardianship or both. Being appointed as somebody’s conservator means that you are responsible for handling their assets and finances. Being appointed as somebody’s guardian means that you are responsible for handling their personal and health care.

Medicaid is the largest source of payment for long-term care in Oregon, and a Medicaid Asset Protection Trust may be useful in preserving assets while maintaining Medicaid eligibility.